NOTICE NO. 82-22 DT 26.09.2022
ANTI RAGGING SQUAD-NOTICE NO 96-22, DATED 22.11.22
In pursuance to the direction of the Hon’ble Supreme Court dated 08.05.2009 in Civil Appeal No. 887/2009 and the UGC notification on ‘Regulation on Curbing the Menace and develop both physically of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions 2009’,the Government General Degree College, Mangalkote has taken the following preventive measures to eliminate the scourge of ragging among the students and to provide them congenital environment to learn and develop both physically and mentally:-
- To root out ragging in all its form from the institution by prohibiting and preventing its occurrence.
- To implement the provisions of UGC regulations on curbing and menace of ragging.
- To regulate and punish those who indulge in ragging, as provided under the UGC Regulation, 2009.
What constitutes Ragging?
Ragging constitutes one or more of the following acts:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words or spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student ;
- Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance , hardship , physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any student ;
- Asking any student to do any act which student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of fear, shame , torment or embarrassment , so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- Act by a senior student that prevents , disrupts or disturb the regular academic activity of any other student or fresher;
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students involved in ragging.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it : sexual abuse , homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post , public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student or students over any fresher or any other student.
Provisions of Punishment at the Institution as recommended by the UGC –
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the anti-ragging committee of this institution, the possible punishment for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level shall be any one or in any combination of the following
- Cancellation of admission
- Suspension from attending the classes
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from hostel
- Rustication from the institution for a period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
- Fine of Rupees 25000/-
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
Preventive measures forAnti-Raggingby the Institution:-
- The Institutionsmay erect suitable hoardings/bill boards/banners in prominentplaces within the campus to exhort the students to prevent or not to indulge inragging and also indicating therein the names of the officials and their telephonenumberstobecontactedincaseofragging.
- The institute have formed an Anti-Ragging-Committee and squad to ensure that the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and Justice Raghavan Committee recommendations are followed without exception.
- An affidavit must be obtained from every Student, Parent/Guardian separately as per clause (m&n) of Regulation 6.2.
- The Institution may also undertake other forms of campaign as it may consider appropriate for preventing ragging.
- The institute will constantly monitor the activities of students during the entire period of the academic session.